User Controls

Creeping Censorship

aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Censorship in the west has been growing these last few years, it's recently become overtly political (as opposed to largely cultural) though. This thread is a log for major developments.

- The Russian RT and SPUTNIK news sites have been forced by US congress to register as 'foreign agents' and are being vigorously derided and described by the mainstream media as 'pure propaganda' in what appears to be a co-ordinated campaign (virtually all popular 'mainstream' news, not just US, uses the same language and talking points without giving any concrete examples).

- Rumors that various US cable networks have dropped RT channels (a few have apparently dropped them in favour of i24, more details later)

- Google is working with the State Department to 'de-rank', ie. bury in search results, articles posted by RT or SPUTNIK regardless of their content.

- Small broadcasters are regularly dropped from Youtube for unspecified TOS violations (specifically those running counter to mainstream opinions - broadcasters from Syria, Yemen etc.); the latest being DONi - a group that posts frontline videos and news from the Donetsk region of the Ukraine. They apparently received notice that their account had been closed due to 'violations of many or serious types of spam, fraudulent activity, and misleading content or other YouTube practices' but have not been able to get a response on clarification of the specific 'offense' they committed.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Speedy Parker Black Hole [my absentmindedly lachrymatory gazania]
    This is why I don't use Google or watch TV.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker This is why I don't use Google or watch TV.

This is the answer

They're now saying that defunding alt news is not enough, they must be taken down.
    Originally posted by Kolokol-1 This is the answer

They're now saying that defunding alt news is not enough, they must be taken down.

So much for...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    you cant deny RT is utter propaganda tho. i've watched it for a few days time in total, while segments like redacted are funny, they dont really offer much in term of news, more like jokes and comedy and rhetorics.
    I can't speak for the TV channels because I've never watched them, but I consider the website to be one of the best major outlets

Sputnik's more sensational and tabloidy, but still stands head and shoulders above stuff like the Daily Mail
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    sure it provide something fresh but are they really unbiased ????

i didnt feel so.
    Originally posted by benny vader you cant deny RT is utter propaganda tho. i've watched it for a few days time in total, while segments like redacted are funny, they dont really offer much in term of news, more like jokes and comedy and rhetorics.

Its no worse than CNN/NBC/CBS/MSNBC/FOX/etc
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker Its no worse than CNN/NBC/CBS/MSNBC/FOX/etc

the differences between russian propagandas and american propagandas are that the russian propagandas belonged to the russians.
    the war on fake news

because god forbid anyone should have to think critically for half a second to evaluate whether or not something is true

i'd rather just have hillary clinton or donald trump do it for me
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by greenplastic the war on fake news

because god forbid anyone should have to think critically for half a second to evaluate whether or not something is true

i'd rather just have hillary clinton or donald trump do it for me

no, your the kind that prefers julian or snowden to do that for you.
    Originally posted by benny vader no, your the kind that prefers julian or snowden to do that for you.

o rly
    Originally posted by benny vader sure it provide something fresh but are they really unbiased ????

i didnt feel so.

Don't be stupid, nobody is unbiased. The best you can hope for in terms of news media is to have access to a multitude of outlets with different agendas.

RT specifically though - the only way you could honestly accuse them of bias is in being selective with which news stories they report on. I've yet to see a report (a report, not an editorial or opinion piece) where they've lied or been deliberately misleading, which is more than I can say for even the most 'trusted' western news outlets.
    Originally posted by benny vader the differences between russian propagandas and american propagandas are that the russian propagandas belonged to the russians.

Thanks for clearing that up. We were all wondering.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by aldra Don't be stupid, nobody is unbiased. The best you can hope for in terms of news media is to have access to a multitude of outlets with different agendas.

RT specifically though - the only way you could honestly accuse them of bias is in being selective with which news stories they report on. I've yet to see a report (a report, not an editorial or opinion piece) where they've lied or been deliberately misleading, which is more than I can say for even the most 'trusted' western news outlets.

i remember something not right with their report on zapad or aurora 17 that wasnt right but i forgot all the details.
    Originally posted by benny vader i remember something not right with their report on zapad or aurora 17 that wasnt right but i forgot all the details.

How often do you base your opinion on things you can't recall?
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker How often do you base your opinion on things you can't recall?

same as you.
    Originally posted by benny vader i remember something not right with their report on zapad or aurora 17 that wasnt right but i forgot all the details.

let me know if you work it out; western media constantly attacks them as 'propaganda' but I've never seen any examples - when pressed they usually just complain that they have guests or opinion writers that are 'unreliable' or 'conspiracy theorists' or similar.

Anyhow, Facebook is now rolling out a tool that apparently checks your posting history from the 2016 election cycle to see if you 'interacted with Russian propaganda'. They make explicit mention of 'material coming from the Russian troll farm the Internet Research Agency'...

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/facebook-will-let-you-see-what-russian-linked-content-you-followed/

Except the 'Internet Research Agency' has never existed as a real group or company in Russia, and the groups that apparently supported it have been arrested for espionage and fraud (including several mid-ranking FSB agents and Kaspersky employees)... Indicating the whole thing is nothing but a false/black flag attack to implicate the Russian government in information warfare campaigns.

http://thesaker.is/a-brief-history-of-the-kremlin-trolls/
    Originally posted by aldra let me know if you work it out; western media constantly attacks them as 'propaganda' but I've never seen any examples - when pressed they usually just complain that they have guests or opinion writers that are 'unreliable' or 'conspiracy theorists' or similar.

Anyhow, Facebook is now rolling out a tool that apparently checks your posting history from the 2016 election cycle to see if you 'interacted with Russian propaganda'. They make explicit mention of 'material coming from the Russian troll farm the Internet Research Agency'…

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/facebook-will-let-you-see-what-russian-linked-content-you-followed/

Except the 'Internet Research Agency' has never existed as a real group or company in Russia, and the groups that apparently supported it have been arrested for espionage and fraud (including several mid-ranking FSB agents and Kaspersky employees)… Indicating the whole thing is nothing but a false/black flag attack to implicate the Russian government in information warfare campaigns.

What. The. Fuck.

And if that's not bad enough, twitter is planning to monitor your activity on and off the site and ban you if you go on "sites with violence or hate speech" even outside of twitter

This is a clearly biased article but you get the point

http://mashable.com/2017/11/17/twitter-hate-speech-symbols-december-18/#gd4LAjn13Oql

They talk about banning "racists, neo-nazis, and white supremacists" but I'm sure you can figure out who they're talking about

Post last edited by Kolokol-1 at 2017-11-23T05:45:43.251349+00:00
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by aldra let me know if you work it out; western media constantly attacks them as 'propaganda' but I've never seen any examples - when pressed they usually just complain that they have guests or opinion writers that are 'unreliable' or 'conspiracy theorists' or similar.

i'm pretty sure theres an online version somewhere. that and the rohyngya crisis. if you try and spend a few days watching RT news you'll most likely come to the same conclusion also.

Anyhow, Facebook is now rolling out a tool that apparently checks your posting history from the 2016 election cycle to see if you 'interacted with Russian propaganda'. They make explicit mention of 'material coming from the Russian troll farm the Internet Research Agency'…

Except the 'Internet Research Agency' has never existed as a real group or company in Russia, and the groups that apparently supported it have been arrested for espionage and fraud (including several mid-ranking FSB agents and Kaspersky employees)… Indicating the whole thing is nothing but a false/black flag attack to implicate the Russian government in information warfare campaigns.

the better question is did they choose to do so VOLUNTARILY ... or were they told to do so by the [us] government ???

btw, information warfare is speech warfare.
Jump to Top