User Controls

Discipline and improvement through transhumanism

The human body is a biological machine. In theory, it should be tunable and changeable from the outside regardless of our will.

Let's take someone like HTS (or anyone who struggles with depression: I do, but I overcome it). Their depression is crippling. They know the right thing to do. They just don't do it. Maybe they are stupid, maybe it's Maybelline. Idk.

But imagine if the doctor gave you a little gadget that you shove into your ear. You can preset the amount of time it stays active. The gadget wrests motor control from brain (except let's say a safety switch mapped to your toes or whatever) and automates the tasks you don't want to do.

Chores. Exercise. Hell, even menial labour. Stick your earchip in and peace the fuck out, keep half a mind monitoring the situation.

How would you feel about such a technology? Would you use it?
    RestStop Space Nigga
    I wouldn't out of fear something horrible happening (like a bundle of bricks falling on me)...I assume my reflexes wouldn't be the same if I'm on auto pilot.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon The human body is a biological machine. In theory, it should be tunable and changeable from the outside regardless of our will.

Let's take someone like HTS (or anyone who struggles with depression: I do, but I overcome it). Their depression is crippling. They know the right thing to do. They just don't do it. Maybe they are stupid, maybe it's Maybelline. Idk.

But imagine if the doctor gave you a little gadget that you shove into your ear. You can preset the amount of time it stays active. The gadget wrests motor control from brain (except let's say a safety switch mapped to your toes or whatever) and automates the tasks you don't want to do.

Chores. Exercise. Hell, even menial labour. Stick your earchip in and peace the fuck out, keep half a mind monitoring the situation.

Well wouldn't we all utilize it? Singularity treats.
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon The human body is a biological machine. In theory, it should be tunable and changeable from the outside regardless of our will.

seems like a good way to forfeit your life. i'd do it. i really dont want to be alive anyway. fuck chores tho that still sounds like bullshit.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by HTS seems like a good way to forfeit your life. i'd do it. i really dont want to be alive anyway. fuck chores tho that still sounds like bullshit.

There's a term for our line of thinking. When you get caught up in your own pyschology to the point that theres always a justification for the 'poor' behavior.

Its a sick place to be at. It truly is.
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by mmQ There's a term for our line of thinking. When you get caught up in your own pyschology to the point that theres always a justification for the 'poor' behavior.

Its a sick place to be at. It truly is.

by whose metric is it poor. if it's not your own, that's some other shit. i ain't nobody's bitch. if im shutting off half my brain to do shit, it better be worth more to me than basic ass bullshit like working out and doing chores and shit. if that shit mattered to me enough that i'd be willing to potentially sell my freedom/autonomy for it, it'd be worth enough for me to just fucking do it the old fashion way.
    Originally posted by RestStop I wouldn't out of fear something horrible happening (like a bundle of bricks falling on me)…I assume my reflexes wouldn't be the same if I'm on auto pilot.

I'd argue that accidents like that simply wouldn't happen with this technology. Imagine if every single workplace safety regulation was hardwired into special employees' AutoChips, to make sure everything is safe.

Also, let's assume that the chip simply takes your consciousness and removes it from control, the body itself works just as it would but minus your human mind's flaws.
    Originally posted by HTS by whose metric is it poor. if it's not your own, that's some other shit. i ain't nobody's bitch. if im shutting off half my brain to do shit, it better be worth more to me than basic ass bullshit like working out and doing chores and shit. if that shit mattered to me enough that i'd be willing to potentially sell my freedom/autonomy for it, it'd be worth enough for me to just fucking do it the old fashion way.

Let's say that in theory, you could program yourself to do anything. But the responsibility for it being bug free etc is on you.
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Let's say that in theory, you could program yourself to do anything. But the responsibility for it being bug free etc is on you.

i'd use that technology to indulge in fucked up sexual deviance before i used it for things someone else decides is 'good', is my point. When it's out of your control it's tyranny, when it's in your control it's luxury - so why use it for bullshit like chores. It could be put to way more interesting uses. I'd probably spend half my life trying to program other people if technology like that existed. At no point and under no circumstance do I see myself becoming what is today considered a productive member of society. Ha ha ha ha.
    HTS highlight reel
    I get less fulfillment from satisfying societal expectations than I do from satisfying my own desires, so technology like this is pointless.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by HTS by whose metric is it poor. if it's not your own, that's some other shit. i ain't nobody's bitch. if im shutting off half my brain to do shit, it better be worth more to me than basic ass bullshit like working out and doing chores and shit. if that shit mattered to me enough that i'd be willing to potentially sell my freedom/autonomy for it, it'd be worth enough for me to just fucking do it the old fashion way.

You're my case in point Lucy buns. Everything you do is self-justified and you nare make a choice that goes against your own ingrained selfish desires.

You are my case. In point.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by mmQ You're my case in point Lucy buns. Everything you do is self-justified and you nare make a choice that goes against your own ingrained selfish desires.

You are my case. In point.

Why would I though? My desires aren't selfish, they just aren't obedient to external pressure. Or if they are selfish, is that a bad thing? If selfishness is defined only as a disregard for what others want you to do, it's not an inherently bad trait. If everyone around you is telling you to kill somebody, and you don't want to do it because it's not what you want, you're doing it for selfish reasons. You say 'selfish' like it's a bad thing. You call my behavior 'poor'... I call my behavior 'pure', relatively.

My behavior is good behavior as long as you don't subscribe to some bullshit collectivist ideology. ;)
    RestStop Space Nigga
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon I'd argue that accidents like that simply wouldn't happen with this technology. Imagine if every single workplace safety regulation was hardwired into special employees' AutoChips, to make sure everything is safe.

Also, let's assume that the chip simply takes your consciousness and removes it from control, the body itself works just as it would but minus your human mind's flaws.

Well in that case hell yeah sign me up. It would be most useful for me if I could just kinda use it as a fast forward button as most of my life is spent waiting on certain things(deliveries) to happen.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by HTS Why would I though? My desires aren't selfish, they just aren't obedient to external pressure. Or if they are selfish, is that a bad thing? If selfishness is defined only as a disregard for what others want you to do, it's not an inherently bad trait. If everyone around you is telling you to kill somebody, and you don't want to do it because it's not what you want, you're doing it for selfish reasons. You say 'selfish' like it's a bad thing. You call my behavior 'poor'… I call my behavior 'pure', relatively.

My behavior is good behavior as long as you don't subscribe to some bullshit collectivist ideology. ;)

I used 'poor' as a descriptive based upon societal standards M8. You think I'm arguing with you but I'm agreeing . With the right level of intelligence balanced with shortcomings one can always go on making sense of their actions.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon How would you feel about such a technology? Would you use it?

Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon (or anyone who struggles with depression: I do, but I overcome it).

That's not depression, that's called being a bitch
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by mmQ I used 'poor' as a descriptive based upon societal standards M8. You think I'm arguing with you but I'm agreeing . With the right level of intelligence balanced with shortcomings one can always go on making sense of their actions.

REEEEE. My point is it's stupid to even consider societal standards.~
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by HTS REEEEE. My point is it's stupid to even consider societal standards.~

Retweeeeeet your point is dumb then
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by mmQ Retweeeeeet your point is dumb then

Pish posh, the only considerations that need be made are those of self preservation and self indulgence. Society can fuck off up until the point it wants me dead or imprisoned.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by HTS Pish posh, the only considerations that need be made are those of self preservation and self indulgence. Society can fuck off up until the point it wants me dead or imprisoned.

Lol. Society doesn't care about you. Its never gonna 'fuck off' before you do Lucy Butt!
Jump to Top