User Controls

Is a spiral a sort of fractal?

LegalizeSpiritualDiscovery Space Nigga [my yellow-marked arboreous hypnotist]
    I've been reading up a bit lately about the Golden Spiral and the Golden Ratio. It's really interesting how much these show up in various parts of nature, and fractals seem to show up quite a bit too.

Some seashells, a certain type of broccoli, even spiral galaxies I've seen referred to as a sort of fractal. Doesn't that just mean that a spiral is a fractal?
    I think the prevalence of the golden ratio can be attributed to humans trying to find patterns in everything.
    bling bling Dark Matter
    reality is a fractal
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by bling bling reality is a fractal

and consciousness... 12 loops boiiiiiii

a spiral is a fractal if it preserves self-similarity, if the spiral doesnt follow an algorithm it is not a fractal, its not hard to make a fractal all you have to do is insert a meta element somewhere

definition of fractal "a curve or geometric figure, each part of which has the same statistical character as the whole."
    tl;dr "what is recursivity"
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    sploo what was that book I was telling you about? I forgot the name again

it's pretty interesting and related; discusses how complex and seemingly random forms (ie. life) can stem from very simple patterns
    Originally posted by aldra sploo what was that book I was telling you about? I forgot the name again

it's pretty interesting and related; discusses how complex and seemingly random forms (ie. life) can stem from very simple patterns

well no shit

you know the folk story where the guy asks for 1 grain of rice and then doubles the amount each day for a month and ends up fat af
    http://mathforum.org/sanders/geometry/GP11Fable.html
    a better question that isn't for derpadews

out of the different mathematical constants such as Pi, Euler's number, the golden ratio, what is the relation of these constants to one another, is one constant required for the creation of another constant, so that there's a hierarchy of constants?
    Have a look into 'cellular automata' while I try and remember it again

Originally posted by just one more mongol a better question that isn't for derpadews

out of the different mathematical constants such as Pi, Euler's number, the golden ratio, what is the relation of these constants to one another, is one constant required for the creation of another constant, so that there's a hierarchy of constants?

no
    https://www.quora.com/Are-constants-related-to-each-other
    some algorithms or constants require other known constants to calculate, that isn't 'a better question' and it should be fairly obvious if you're not functionally retarded
    'cellular automata'

tl;dr life is just the interactions of AGCT dna strands
    Originally posted by aldra some algorithms or constants require other known constants to calculate, that isn't 'a better question' and it should be fairly obvious if you're not functionally retarded

ok so if there's a certain amount of fundamental constants, where do they come from? are they like quarks which come together to form more complex mathematical systems as atoms and molecules? is some compound of mathematical constants the basis of the number system? is all math reducible to some sort of algorithm using only constants as numbers?
    Originally posted by just one more mongol ok so if there's a certain amount of fundamental constants, where do they come from?

they're essentially just values that are picked out because they have some significance to the physical world - I don't know how pi was 'found' but it's regarded as important and worth remembering because it's useful for other calculations

are they like quarks which come together to form more complex mathematical systems as atoms and molecules? is some compound of mathematical constants the basis of the number system?

you can visualise it how you want but sort of, in the example of pi the value by itself isn't terribly useful, but as a part of a larger function or algorithm you can do a lot with it
    what im asking is, can every real/imaginary/surreal/hyperreal number etc. be simplified to a certain function of constants and their interactions?
    a way to begin to test this is see if the first 100 integers can be made using arithmetic/algebraic operations on various constants
    Originally posted by just one more mongol http://mathforum.org/sanders/geometry/GP11Fable.html

A grain of rice is approximately .2 inches long. Converting .2 inches to feet (divide by 12 inches to a foot) and then dividing that number by 5,280 feet in one mile, we get the length of the grains of rice, placed end-to-end, to be approximately 60,000,000,000,000 miles. How far is that? beta Centauri, the nearest star, is located 25,000,000,000,000 miles from Earth. Placed end to end, these grains of rice would reach farther than from the Earth, across space to the nearest star, beta Centauri, and back to Earth again!

Do you understand the significance of this? The rice grains would stick to eachother, attracted one another's minute yet present gravitational field. It would eventually attract the whole rice string congealing into a rice nebula, and then finally, a rice planetoid with the mass of about 516 TRILLION KILOS. Assuming all this rice was grown on Earth, that would mean Earth would have lost about 60% of it's mass by exporting it's rice off-planet. And that's assuming the rice wasn't cooked. If it were cooked, it would have easily consumed all the water on the planet, leaving Earth a dry husk with a rapidly decaying orbit, lazily spiraling into the sun like a turd taking it's time to flush.

Meanwhile, on Rice Planet, intense gravitational forces at the starchy core stir an apocalypytic event. Vapors vent to the surface in spectacular eruptions, mostly consisting of carbon monoxide and other black sooty carbon byproducts of burning rice. The planet would absorb more and more solar radiation due to it's blackened surface and atmosphere. The planet would most likely end up in orbit around beta Centuari, being that it has greater mass than our sun. If you could see through the blackened atmosphere you would find a crystalline diamond surface, miles beneath it the pulsating liqefied core visible. Looking across the horizon one would see a an eerie sheen, the faint red core refracting through the glassy surface, creating an mirage that fades from bright red to a deep blood colored maroon, it's crimson void seeping into the sky that is a starless black shroud. Basically this astronomer destroyed Earth and created a hellscape in a distant solar system.

Space diamonds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_diamonds
    mashlehash victim of incest [my perspicuously dependant flavourlessness]
    Reality is all one sick game of God.
    The Mormon God.
Jump to Top