User Controls

How do atheists...

Esplender Tuskegee Airman [my gynecological profit-maximising katar]
    How do atheists deal with the fact that their lives and existence are entirely devoid of any meaning and that they have absolutely no morals or principles whatsoever?

Shit's bananas.
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    The same way theists do it.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Open Your Mind The same way theists do it.

... Woah.
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    no morals or principles? wtf, are you high, stupid, ignorant or just all 3?

The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by NARCassist no morals or principles? wtf, are you high, stupid, ignorant or just all 3?

It's the way of the atheist. They don't believe in anything.
    Originally posted by Esplender It's the way of the atheist. They don't believe in anything.

no wonder y'all believe in fake gods, y'all fucking stupid.

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    It's very complicated.

You wouldn't understand
    You accept it. Read The Myth Of Sisyphus by Camus.
    Originally posted by NARCassist no morals or principles? wtf, are you high, stupid, ignorant or just all 3?

He means there's no reason for you to have them other than the temporary benefit of fitting in with society. Per the atheistic worldview, there is no concrete definition of good and evil nor can there be. Nothing is inherently morally right or wrong, you just have 'preferences'.
    Originally posted by Dargo Per the atheistic worldview, there is no concrete definition of good and evil nor can there be. Nothing is inherently morally right or wrong, you just have 'preferences'.

This entire portion is at worst utterly wrong and at best misleading.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon This entire portion is at worst utterly wrong and at best misleading.

Please explain how something can be absolutely and inherently wrong if there is no God.
    Originally posted by Dargo Please explain how something can be absolutely and inherently wrong if there is no God.

If you're looking for absolute morality then you are right but the point is meaningless (hence me saying that at best it is misleading). You need some framework for morality at all, it's obviously a human construction. But we don't need god to derive a meaningful, logical moral framework, within which we can decide what is and is not "okay" based on utilitarian principles
    LegalizeSpiritualDiscovery Space Nigga [my yellow-marked arboreous hypnotist]
    Originally posted by Dargo He means there's no reason for you to have them other than the temporary benefit of fitting in with society. Per the atheistic worldview, there is no concrete definition of good and evil nor can there be. Nothing is inherently morally right or wrong, you just have 'preferences'.

:facepal:
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Dargo Please explain how something can be absolutely and inherently wrong if there is no God.

Explain how it can be so with a god. You're placing your morality in the hands of a presumed Being. You mean to tell me that if you nobody had shown you a Bible that you'd not still have a moral code?
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by Esplender It's the way of the atheist. They don't believe in anything.

That's the way of the nihilist not the atheist. As an atheist i do not subscribe to the idea that morality/ethics can only come from God, you don't have to be a moral relativist just because you're an atheist. Instead of religion/God i derive a sense of ethics and morality from philosophical principles. Besides i don't need the threat of eternal damnation to scare me into being a good person.

Also without God, i get to impart meaning to my life.
    mashlehash victim of incest [my perspicuously dependant flavourlessness]
    Originally posted by Esplender How do atheists deal with the fact that their lives and existence are entirely devoid of any meaning and that they have absolutely no morals or principles whatsoever?

Shit's bananas.

Just because one identifies as atheist, does not mean that one cannot find meaning.
    Why do atheists always take the idea of God (And everything else for that matter) literally? ("Hurhurhur! Le magical sky fairy! XD I wonder if my post in the Rick and Morty subreddit got upboated")
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Esplender Why do atheists always take the idea of God (And everything else for that matter) literally? ("Hurhurhur! Le magical sky fairy! XD I wonder if my post in the Rick and Morty subreddit got upboated")

That's kind of like asking "why do republicans always take the idea of democrats seriously?", like there's some kind of "figurative democrats" and american conservatism is strawmanning liberalism for not addressing it. Like if you want to talk about some kind of super vague god, or reduce god to a synonym for like natural forces, or whatever then the thing you're talking about has nothing to do with the atheist position, each athiest can treat such a semantic game however they want, it doesn't really matter.
    Like we literally don't have absolute anything... Fuck morality, that's a different realm of shit altogether, but we can't even talk about anything as being absolutely true. It's arguable that even scientific FACTS, such as the speed of light, only exist in relation to a particular framework within which we even experience reality... Which is not remotely close to being the only way to view reality (e.g. look into Gauge Theory).
    well i'm an atheist and the reason i don't kill or rape people is not because of fear of reprisals from fellow humans. its because i possess empathy and as such i feel that it would be a really cuntish thing to do to deny somebody the chance to live their life or force them through such a horrible ordeal. i wouldn't want it done to me, so i can relate that others would feel exactly the same. actually forget i said that, i'm narcassist, i don't give a fuck really, lol.

Jump to Top