User Controls

Optimal time of day for cognitive work

I find that my productivity tends to peak between roughly 8pm and midnight, then I have a very significant downward slide around 2am and go to bed by 3am. Pretty unusual by normie standards, but not uncommon among other IT people I know.

I have to wonder if staring at screens all day has messed up my circadian rhythm, or if I'm naturally a night owl.

How bout y'all niggas? What time do you do your best work?
    Originally posted by inb4l0pht I find that my productivity tends to peak between roughly 8pm and midnight, then I have a very significant downward slide around 2am and go to bed by 3am. Pretty unusual by normie standards, but not uncommon among other IT people I know.

I have to wonder if staring at screens all day has messed up my circadian rhythm, or if I'm naturally a night owl.

How bout y'all niggas? What time do you do your best work?

go to bed you fucking methhead
    my peak is morning time, probably because of caffeine consumption
    Originally posted by greenplastic my peak is morning time, probably because of caffeine consumption

around 10am?
    Originally posted by Totse 2001 around 10am?

probably
    HampTheToker African Astronaut
    People are diurnal, so naturally most people peak in the morning. If your routine is different, then you're not most people because you've adopted a different lifestyle with it's own pros and cons.

Thank the lightbulb. Torch and candle light were the standard forever until then, so a nocturnal lifestyle back then would have been very different and uncommon.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    I'd say after lunch and after dinner(With coffee as dessert). My brain needs a lot of calories i imagine.
    Not if they used a candle with a broken mirror to aid in their reading as well as stab someone busting through the door to rape and pillage your family.
    Originally posted by Totse 2001 Not if they used a candle with a broken mirror to aid in their reading as well as stab someone busting through the door to rape and pillage your family.

Common as those things may be, they're still best done during daylight which is why we're wired to be creatures of the day.
    Originally posted by Sophie I'd say after lunch and after dinner(With coffee as dessert). My brain needs a lot of calories i imagine.

Best answer, really. People work best on full stomachs.

/thread
    Originally posted by HampTheToker Common as those things may be, they're still best done during daylight which is why we're wired to be creatures of the day.

but why 10am - say 12 or 1pm? then 4 oclock is that drag. even if you work other hours and not just ready to go home at the end of the day. 4 oclock also is the most common time to have an allergy attack in the spring. 10am and then later at 4pm.

if no one could stay awake at night.. no crazy shit would happen at night. the world would have to do all it's crazy shit in the day, when people could see them.

that would be a perfect world. and you wouldn't have to be afraid to be forced to take a nap outside if you couldn't get home before the sun set.. you could just find where no one is, and fall asleep. then when everyone wakes up exactly the same time (in your time zone) you wouldn't have to be so afraid of getting back home.

do you see what I see while saying it?
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by HampTheToker Best answer, really. People work best on full stomachs.

/thread

not true.

a full stomick just induces sleepiness in me.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I used to think I was a total night person. I do definitely like sleeping in, but for the most part my most productive hours are just when people will leave me alone without interruption for a few hours and night happens to be like that. When I have uninterrupted time in the middle of the day I find I'm pretty much just as productive.
    I don't even like walking to my car at night anymore. let alone drive around or whatever. Christmas time annoys me because of how early it gets dark.

It was fun when you're younger because the curfew is lifted but somewhere in your midlife.. you realize how dangerous it is. you can slip on shit you wouldn't normally see. you can get robbed. fewer people around if you need assistance from injury. you just trip more on shit when injured and injure yourself more. cops see you and often harass you wondering what the fuck you're up to. not to mention it's usually cold as fuck.
    You know what.. Fuck the nighttime
    Originally posted by benny vader not true.

a full stomick just induces sleepiness in me.

That's because you're a fat ass, and you ate too much.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Old man Totse 2001 suffering from a little night blindness huh? That's unfortunate
    Originally posted by Lanny Old man Totse 2001 suffering from a little night blindness huh? That's unfortunate

happens to everyone who hits 40-45 pretty much. at least 90 plus percent of the population. and I have some real fucked up ulcerations in the eyes

losing focal point. whatever the fuck they call that shit. plus my right eye goes completely blind and flashes at night before coming back on. like it's rebooting or some shit.

Lets become FRIENDS LANNY.. and you can fly out to NYC with me in Oct on a cheap flight.. and we can rent an Air BnB together so I only have to pay for half of it.. 100 bucks each a night, we could get a sweet 2 bedroom or a 1 bedroom and I'll crash on the couch. We can bring highlighter gal with us, rent a movie on my laptop and throw popcorn in HisHer hair
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by HampTheToker That's because you're a fat ass, and you ate too much.

theres no such a thing as eating too much.
    I just stayed up all night doing server maintenance, then slept from 6am to 2pm. Could probably get used to this cycle.
Jump to Top