User Controls

Best Quality Unlocked SmartPhone

I want to buy a decent smartphone for under 200USD

what model/phone?

I like Samsungs or htc

but there are these chinese knockoffs.. just afraid they might get personal info.. not that I bank by phone
    RestStop Space Nigga
    I use a IPhone 5S..I paid $150 for it last fall at Walmart. I saw them today on Ebay for like $112 and free shipping. I can honestly say its one hell of a phone for under $200.
    Originally posted by RestStop I use a IPhone 5S..I paid $150 for it last fall at Walmart. I saw them today on Ebay for like $112 and free shipping. I can honestly say its one hell of a phone for under $200.

Yeah but they need a good case that absorbs shock and a screen protector. the glass on those things suck.. unless I got a gorilla glass and digitizer that was third party. which voids warrenty.. but I doubt the 4-5 year old model has one.

I might take that into consideration. is it 4.9 screen size?
    RestStop Space Nigga
    Originally posted by Totse 2001 Yeah but they need a good case that absorbs shock and a screen protector. the glass on those things suck.. unless I got a gorilla glass and digitizer that was third party. which voids warrenty.. but I doubt the 4-5 year old model has one.

I might take that into consideration. is it 4.9 screen size?

I think it's a 4.4 screen but that's just off the top of my head..and surprisingly I've dropped the thing on concrete more times than I can remember those huge bulky wrap around cases are serious over kill. If anything get a "pro glass" brand screen protector the black/green package. When I bought my phone they offered a two year warranty for $50 but I was trying to get a deal so I said screw it.
    I haven't had my phone a year and I feel I've got my moneys worth already.
    Originally posted by RestStop I think it's a 4.4 screen but that's just off the top of my head..and surprisingly I've dropped the thing on concrete more times than I can remember those huge bulky wrap around cases are serious over kill. If anything get a "pro glass" brand screen protector the black/green package. When I bought my phone they offered a two year warranty for $50 but I was trying to get a deal so I said screw it.
    I haven't had my phone a year and I feel I've got my moneys worth already.

I'm far sided so thats a good thing when driving but i can't see small screens to well.. and when you enlarge type on them, it just bunches up.

I kind of want a good phab thats like 6 or more. that would be a good phone for driving.. but it has to have great processor speed. and older one would be great as long as it runs smoothly with gps.
    Galaxy S4 + otterbox defender will run you about $180 on Walmart.com and about the same on amazon

Unless somebody was doing extreme gaming or editing or something I don't see any reason anybody would need a better phone than that

I bought one in 2012 and the sim card reader broke late 2016 so I bought another. I don't think I'll ever buy any other phone, there's just no need and they're unbeatable for the price.

Also 5" screen, removable battery and supports 32gb SD Memory cards (pretty sure it supports 64gb as well but not positive)
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Kolokol-1 Galaxy S4 + otterbox defender will run you about $180 on Walmart.com and about the same on amazon

Unless somebody was doing extreme gaming or editing or something I don't see any reason anybody would need a better phone than that

I bought one in 2012 and the sim card reader broke late 2016 so I bought another. I don't think I'll ever buy any other phone, there's just no need and they're unbeatable for the price.

Also 5" screen, removable battery and supports 32gb SD Memory cards (pretty sure it supports 64gb as well but not positive)

That's pretty good. just curious.. how is the phone? I was surprized to find out my Note 3 (which is old as fark) had a 4K (or just under true 4)

beautiful video

Samsungs are good.
    Find used stuff on swappa.com

Since you're looking for a phone under $200, that means either a used, relatively old flagship or a less old/new budget phone.

And in that case, what you want is a phone with an unlocked bootloader and good custom ROM support. Any idiot can flash a new ROM, and add years to the life of their phone.

A tip is to go for LineageOS for any phone by default, you can experiment with other custom ROMs but LineageOS is the successor to CyanogenMod, and is the "default" custom ROM, it's the biggest project and exists across multiple phones, so it's almost guaranteed to be good on any given phone. It's also basically stock Android, no bullshit or bloat.

As for what phones you want to look into, you want to probably buy a phone from this past generation, 2016+, or if you want a higher end one from a few years back, then 2014 (my recommendation would be the HTC One M8 if you're willing to look at a 2014 phone).

2015 was the worst year for Android smartphones because Qualcomm fucked up their chips by scrambling for 64 bit architecture (because Apple did it first) and using reference designs from ARM, which were retarded lyrics inefficient on the 20nm process they were using to manufacture them. That's why all Snapdragon 810 generation chip having phones will have lots of issues with thermal management and battery life. Don't buy phones from 2015... Maybe the Nexus 6P or if you're really interested in Samsung, then a Galaxy, but they don't benefit from custom ROM support as much.

I can recommend some phones if you'd like.
    Originally posted by Totse 2001 That's pretty good. just curious.. how is the phone? I was surprized to find out my Note 3 (which is old as fark) had a 4K (or just under true 4)

beautiful video

Samsungs are good.

It's great, does everything you could ask from a phone.

Only thing I've noticed about it is the camera is not quite as good as the newer phones, but that won't matter if you guys are using it for what I think you're using it for

I don't know how it does with high end gaming or editing or anything like that though

I do know that it connects to Bluetooth controllers so you can use them with emulators, and emulators for N64, SNES, GBA, and PS1 run great on it
    Originally posted by Kolokol-1 Galaxy S4 + otterbox defender will run you about $180 on Walmart.com and about the same on amazon

Galaxy S4 is a piece of shit in 2017, and it will be slow as fuck for everything. You can get a phone that performs better in every conceivable way nowadays for under $200.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Find used stuff on swappa.com

Since you're looking for a phone under $200, that means either a used, relatively old flagship or a less old/new budget phone.

And in that case, what you want is a phone with an unlocked bootloader and good custom ROM support. Any idiot can flash a new ROM, and add years to the life of their phone.

A tip is to go for LineageOS for any phone by default, you can experiment with other custom ROMs but LineageOS is the successor to CyanogenMod, and is the "default" custom ROM, it's the biggest project and exists across multiple phones, so it's almost guaranteed to be good on any given phone. It's also basically stock Android, no bullshit or bloat.

As for what phones you want to look into, you want to probably buy a phone from this past generation, 2016+, or if you want a higher end one from a few years back, then 2014 (my recommendation would be the HTC One M8 if you're willing to look at a 2014 phone).

2015 was the worst year for Android smartphones because Qualcomm fucked up their chips by scrambling for 64 bit architecture (because Apple did it first) and using reference designs from ARM, which were retarded lyrics inefficient on the 20nm process they were using to manufacture them. That's why all Snapdragon 810 generation chip having phones will have lots of issues with thermal management and battery life. Don't buy phones from 2015… Maybe the Nexus 6P or if you're really interested in Samsung, then a Galaxy, but they don't benefit from custom ROM support as much.

I can recommend some phones if you'd like.

Also I don't know anything about any of this so I don't know how the s4 will do with it
    If you don't want a fingerprint reader, buy a used OnePlus One, put Sultan's ROM or LineageOS on it, then buy a new battery off eBay and replace it yourself, it's really easy to do, just make sure you buy a kit that comes with a tiny screwdriver and spudger.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Galaxy S4 is a piece of shit in 2017, and it will be slow as fuck for everything. You can get a phone that performs better in every conceivable way nowadays for under $200.

I haven't come across anything that's slow on it

Like I said though i don't do anything power intensive on it, all I ever do on it is text and read
    Originally posted by Kolokol-1 I haven't come across anything that's slow on it

Like I said though i don't do anything power intensive on it, all I ever do on it is text and read

You probably haven't compared it to anything else, and have gotten accustomed to it going slower and slower. My girlfriend currently uses an Exynos version of the S4, it was my old phone, and every time I pick it up, I want to kill myself because of how long it takes to do anything, including switching to another app that was dumped from memory.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Find used stuff on swappa.com..As for what phones you want to look into, you want to probably buy a phone from this past generation, 2016+, or if you want a higher end one from a few years back, then 2014 (my recommendation would be the HTC One M8 if you're willing to look at a 2014 phone).

I traded the M8 by HTC for the older Samsung 3 note. Because I had that trade deal before it was payed off. that way I could pay it off. the camera on the note 3 was better than the M8 had. except the night shots were good on the M8.
    I just wanted a larger screen than my current phone before buying the G5 for 200 bucks. it's a pretty good phone. I recommend it as a second phone, decent size screen. 5.8 I think. slim and has a really good viewing monitor on it.

8 single processors too so it can run different shit at the same time. tnx for input
    I forgot to mention I had The Beats on my M8, those speakers sounded shitty. the inexpensive MoToG I got, has external speakers that sound way better then that 800 dollar phone from HTC. I mean they project almost a surround sound. decent bass (for tiny speakers)

it's also a Duel with both CDMA and gsm card. so you can use either ATT or Verizon style networks.

it's global as well.. not sure what they mean by that.. anywhere in the world if you buy a card to go with it? I guess it's tons of different band freq most phones dont have
    wait in the bathroom at a busy mall in a city until someone forgets their phone in a stall
    ive found 3 phones this way coincidentally and one was an iphone 7
    Originally posted by 10 Ft. Ganja Plant wait in the bathroom at a busy mall in a city until someone forgets their phone in a stall
    ive found 3 phones this way coincidentally and one was an iphone 7

iphones would get shut down. Besides I don't like to steal stuff or even keep what I found unless it's absolutely not being searched for. like posting a message to the owner if you're able to.

It's pretty painful to lose a phone too.. might have photos taken never backed up, datebooks and such.. things like that.
    I mean if it was money cash no wallet, for sure. if it was in a wallet with ID, I'd probably box it, send it to the drivers license information.

but money on the ground and no one around and no one walking up to you saying they dropped money.. it's yours to keep!

I'd keep what I found with a metal detector too if it wasn't a school ring with a name. like at a beach
    Originally posted by Totse 2001 I forgot to mention I had The Beats on my M8, those speakers sounded shitty. the inexpensive MoToG I got, has external speakers that sound way better then that 800 dollar phone from HTC. I mean they project almost a surround sound. decent bass (for tiny speakers)

it's also a Duel with both CDMA and gsm card. so you can use either ATT or Verizon style networks.

it's global as well.. not sure what they mean by that.. anywhere in the world if you buy a card to go with it? I guess it's tons of different band freq most phones dont have

The M7 had Beats Audio, not M8. Get a Moto G5.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon The M7 had Beats Audio, not M8. Get a Moto G5.

I had an M7 before the M8 but still they were pretty shitty.

There was another famous brand speaker offered but I forgot the brand name. that was a limited edition though

I do have the Moto G 5 the gold one.. (which is like a silver gold color.. looks nice)
Jump to Top