User Controls

Auto-Embeds

RisiR † 29 Autism
    Can we have this back, Lanny?

I can't remember who abused it but if it was bling I'll ask him to not do it again.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    There's no good way to do it for technical reasons. The counting logic needs to stay, you can lock up people's browsers with too many embeds on a page and I know it's going to be abused as soon as I remove it, and auto embedding interferes with the counting. I'd need to rewrite substantive parts of the BBC parser to make it work correctly.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    What if I murder the people who abuse it?

It was such a great fucking time to be alive back then.
    Lanny, as massive of a gay jedi as he is, is a sensible computerlad
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    massive gay jedi pride

fuck the police
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    How long will it take me to understand what a BBC parser is and how to fix this?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Couple months of daily study maybe? People have spent their careers studying varieties of parsers but BBCode is one of the simpler cases you'll run into, it's just the interaction of the auto-linker and the parser makes it tricky.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I'll code it this afternoon. You're welcome.
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    Originally posted by Lanny People have spent their careers studying varieties of parsers

Oh my god, that sounds like a living hell. Well, I was already aware that the vast majority of researchers and people in academia end up like this.

Still, why would someone do that to themselves? This would require a god-tier level of functional a.utism to dedicate so much of your life and effort to such a specific subject, and actually enjoy it. I really doubt these people are particularly happy, even if they are literally on the spectrum.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Deleted a bunch of posts. This is H&S so let's try and keep it at least tangentially near the topic, which calling each other whores is not.
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    Flood control?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Malice Oh my god, that sounds like a living hell. Well, I was already aware that the vast majority of researchers and people in academia end up like this.

Still, why would someone do that to themselves? This would require a god-tier level of functional a.utism to dedicate so much of your life and effort to such a specific subject, and actually enjoy it. I really doubt these people are particularly happy, even if they are literally on the spectrum.

Ah, 'tis but ignorance speaking. Parsers are a really interesting subject, one of the most interesting in CS in my opinion. The ideas that support the formal study of parsers are fundamental to the field, some of the most interesting implications not only in CS but also mathematics generally are intimately linked to parsers. You can trace the ideas there to number theory, linguistics, philosophy and psychology. Which is not to say everyone who ever wrote a parser is some kind of brilliant renaissance man, if we're talking about turning BBCode into HTML then yeah, you could probably do that without any deep understanding of the underlying concepts but people who do active research in the field aren't doing that.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by RisiR † Flood control?

What of it?
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    It stops people from crashing shit in 5 seconds with the same video.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    You can use the same video over and over in one post, flood control prevents multiple posts with duplicate content, not single posts with repetitive content
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    That's true. Fuck.
Jump to Top