User Controls

If you could be placed into suspended animation until the future like Fry in Futurama

Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    Would you? Why?

Why would you want to? Maybe if you weren't satisfied with your life. Had some serious problem that may have a much higher chance of being solved in the future.

Just want to experience, live out your life, during a time that would be overall better. For those unfamiliar with these concepts, thought experiments, imagine if you were born in the 1900s, with that level of technology, where life pretty much sucked for the average person. Don't romanticize the past, rely on inaccurate portrayals, or resort to glorifying primitivism, simplistic lifestyles: http://www.raptitude.com/2011/01/a-day-in-the-future/
    If you were faced with this same question back then, do you see why it would be appealing? The same objections would be brought forth. "Think of everything you would miss out on." You'd miss out on a period that sucked. You'd simply be expending your limited lifespan during one period instead of another. Is the current world really that great? Wouldn't you have preferred to have been born now so you could start off with access to all this great technology, with enormous benefits when properly utilized, not as they're wasted upon the filthy masses (proles). All of human knowledge available at your fingertips in an instant. Imagine how differently, more rapidly, history would have progressed if this had been available to the great minds of the past.

This would be much easier if you didn't have any ties, any relationships you would miss out on, but you could always form better ones, have a better life. People move to other places, countries, where they know few if any people all the time. If you felt guilty, had any loved ones, and this mattered enough to you, you could part ways with them beforehand so it wouldn't bring them sudden pain. It happens all the time, you have different goals, different paths in life, you enjoyed what you had, but want them to find someone else so you can each be happy and follow your dreams. Of course most people wouldn't understand, they'd pass judgement with about 5 seconds of thought, with an extremely shallow or no real understanding of the subject, bringing up criticisms as if they haven't been repeatedly addressed from multiple angles by people leagues beyond their intelligence and level of knowledge, particularly on this specific issue. If you are cowardly enough to bow to their influence, you do not deserve this regardless.

If you were worried about being thrust into a world without anything, about the future being worse. Well, there's always a risk. What if you had lived to that point anyway and were just an old man, worn down and in the worst state to adapt and deal with it? What if you had children of grandkids that would be growing up in the world? There's an enormous amount of popular misconceptions, poor/misinformation, boogeyman economics, but I think there fears are childish and unfounded. To deal with the first issue, maybe you could set up an investment and manage to reap a great amount of compound interest. Money may not even be an issue in the future, who knows what automation and robotics could do, other advances in technology, like energy being almost free; if states still exist it may be easy to get by on basic income.

Just want to gauge how many people here feel dissatisfied with their life. Don't like the world, wish it were different, feel alienated, isolated, mismatched. Just want something more, different, something that isn't this. Maybe just feel they want to "escape". Have problems that don't have solutions right now, or ones that aren't satisfying. How many are just afraid of change, the unknown, cowardly and complacent and satisfied with scraping by, a meager existence, because it feels more secure to them.

I would do it without hesitation, I genuinely have no ties to this world. Reanimate me when the singularity is here and we can merge with AI, or at least augment ourselves and surpass our standard biological/genetic limitations, break the chains of biology and cast off the tyranny of the double helix.
    People treated one another better in the past. In the last 5 decades I've witnessed a decline in manners and social etiquette. I've seen the decline in the generations born after mine. I've no reason to believe the future is going to be an improvement in the human condition. I do see my own future improving in the here and now. So I'll stay right where I was put thank you very much. Besides, life is a mystery to be lived not a puzzle to be solved. Enjoy the mystery...
    kroz weak whyte, frothy cuck, and former twink
    ^but wouldn't jumping into the future make it even more mysterious?

But yeah the good ol' days when social etiquette was at an all time high. Back when you could comfortably beat your wife and colored folk had to sit at the back of the bus..

we are such barbarians now these days
    ^but wouldn't jumping into the future make it even more mysterious?

How, in your paltry little imagination, would that make what was going to happen next any more or less apparent?
    But yeah the good ol' days when social etiquette was at an all time high. Back when you could comfortably beat your wife and colored folk had to sit at the back of the bus..

we are such barbarians now these days

Now you're just pulling a statement out of your ass for the sake of disagreement. You didn't live it and you haven't researched it. So as per usual you've made an ass of yourself without even knowing it.

http://www.ncadv.org/learn/statistics
    Cognitive biases. People's memory, their general idea/image, of what the past was like tends to be greatly inaccurate and skewed.
    ^yeah old people can be such candy ass's stuck in the past sometimes.
    ^yeah old people can be such candy ass's stuck in the past sometimes.
    Herpa derpa old people. Is that all you got nigger?
    Freezer geezer!

Freezer geezer!

What the fuck do you you know. You don't live life. You sit and read waiting to die and you don't have a dick.
    That seriously made you mad? Relax, gramps. Grouchy old man. *shakes head* You used to be cool, pops. What happened?
    ^I legitimately lol'd
    That seriously made you mad? Relax, gramps. Grouchy old man. *shakes head* You used to be cool, pops. What happened?
    Ha, do you think you even exist in my world?
    ^your world is nothin but being a hard farting rootin' tootiner
    Ha, do you think you even exist in my world?

I'm here, aren't I? If this wasn't part of your world, why would you be here? And it's not like you only pop in once a month for a few minutes. Don't lie.

But, if you mean IRL, then, yeah, I'm pretty much a ghost in that realm.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I'd like the entire global population to be placed into suspended animation simultaneously for 10-20 years and come back to the animal-infested wasteland for a fun-for-all-ages global game of 'LET'S REBUILD OR PLANET! -jk lets all kill each other and act like lunatics Edition-'
    I'm here, aren't I? If this wasn't part of your world, why would you be here? And it's not like you only pop in once a month for a few minutes. Don't lie.

But, if you mean IRL, then, yeah, I'm pretty much a ghost in that realm.
    Like I said, you don't exist. Hell you barely exist in your own life man.
    Octavian motherfucker
    Why didn't he do this instead?

Damn you Malice
    Originally posted by Octavian Why didn't he do this instead?

Damn you Malice

because he hates society you dumbass, thats why he killed himself. lol
    Ghost Black Hole
    because he's a bitch
Jump to Top