User Controls

HELP, computer now fucked after installing shitty old printer

NARCassist gollums fat coach
    I just bought some shitty old printer for £3 from a car boot fair, the guy assured me it worked fine. I installed the software on my laptop and now its all fucked up. the screen keeps blinking and programs keep closing a few seconds after opening them. can you get a virus from printer software?? I never thought that was a thing. I shoulda saved and got a new one from the shop. anyone know what I can do to save this?

bump, need halp quick, what do?

-SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    When your computer first boots up, press F8 repeatedly to enter the bootup options. Select Safe Mode. Once into Windows in Safe Mode, go to the Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > and uninstall the printer software. There may be more than one entry. Reboot the computer in normal mode.
    Challenge your printer to a beyblade battle
    I just smashed it to fucking pieces

Office space style
    anyone else got anything, that^^ didn't do shit?

Did I challenge it to a beyblade battle?
    your supposed to be leet cf, what do?

AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    Do what Spec said.
    Or just install linux.
    Narc Space Nigga [connect my yokel-like scolytidae]
    I am on linux
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    OK then you should know how to remove shitty software.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    I know its in the terminal somehow, but its a bit hard as the terminal just closes after 4 or 5 seconds after I open it. every program does this. do I need a disk or summing?

Originally posted by NARCassist anyone else got anything, that^^ didn't do shit?

Nuke your HDD and reinstall.
    I got files I need on there.

aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    ctrl+alt f1 -> f9 cycles through virtual terminals if your graphical environment is fucked

once you have a terminal you should be able to check dmesg/syslogs to work out wtf happan
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by aldra ctrl+alt f1 -> f9 cycles through virtual terminals if your graphical environment is fucked

once you have a terminal you should be able to check dmesg/syslogs to work out wtf happen

what I need to do now?

thx for help btw

running dmesg or cat /etc/dmesg (need to be root) will give you a bunch of information related to devices and modules being loaded at startup; if you scroll through it you should be able to see if there's a particular item giving you trouble (it's colour-coded in most recent distros, look for red lines). If there is you can run lsmod|grep <device name> to see which kernel modules are associated with it, and modprobe -r <module name> to unload them. Once done you can use your package manager to remove them permanently.

That's just assuming it's to do with the printer driver though - check instructions for viewing system logs on your distro's site if that doesn't help, some distros are set up differently to others (ie. systemd vs initrc and stuff like that) so I can't really give you specific advice.
    so I just type 'dmesg' into terminal?

yeah but you need root so either

su to root
    run sudo dmesg
Jump to Top