User Controls

"teen" angst

anyone here still have teen angst a decade too late? i do and get pissed off at shit usually but it seems like legit anger to me. i think people just give up on their lives as they are in their 20s. like why is it ok that we live in a country where corruption is ok, and meaningless war is ok? asking these questions makes you immature and full of teen angst.

but i say fuck all those people, im literally smarter than them and more competent
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    like why is it ok that we live in a country where corruption is ok, and meaningless war is ok?

Probably because most mature adults have found better things to do than whine about it, and that life's worth living anyway. At least that's why people can be comfortable with it, but there's a lot of more rigorous answers as well (the french existentialists in particular, making their careers in the wake of WWII, have a lot to say about being content in a world with a lot of problems, most of them worse than what a 21st century american is ever going to face).

but i say fuck all those people, im literally smarter than them and more competent

Lol, you're sure you're not a teenager?
    RestStop Space Nigga
    There's a point in your life where you're basically like "shit happens". Not be mistaken for indifference or acceptance but there will always be completely unnecessary horrors in life and things that aren't fair. Maybe I have some left over angst too because there are things that legitimately aren't fair or even the least bit rational/logical that happens and when I point it out everyone is all like "ha, life ain't fair, kiddo!" which I guess is their cliche way of saying it's not their problem(IDGAF). It's good that you have at least some type of passion left to care about things but you need to actively do something about it and don't let your voice get drowned out with all the complainers but be heard by taking action.
    Probably because most mature adults have found better things to do than whine about it, and that life's worth living anyway. At least that's why people can be comfortable with it, but there's a lot of more rigorous answers as well (the french existentialists in particular, making their careers in the wake of WWII, have a lot to say about being content in a world with a lot of problems, most of them worse than what a 21st century american is ever going to face).

Lol, you're sure you're not a teenager?

yea, i mean, i understand that but for example (this is just the first thing that popped in my head), if i tell someone about operation northwoods, they just dont believe it and refuse to even look it up themselves. or like, the other day i saw a dude with an imac with a "love" sticker on it. it pissed me off because hella chinese people are working like slaves and killing themselves to bring you that and you dont even acknowledge it because it doesnt fit with your yuppie image of the world. are we all just content with living with our head in the sands or what?

and as for the intelligence part, i was sort of joking. intelligence is subjective as fuck and just because you are extremely intelligent in one area doesnt mean you will be in another. ive met engineers who are dumb as a rock, but can do their job.

but i do get better grades in school than most everyone else with relatively little effort, and imo grades are definitely a measure of either intelligence, or your ability to fit in with society/work productively. i dont think im super smart or anything, sometimes i actually think i am retarded.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    yea, i mean, i understand that but for example (this is just the first thing that popped in my head), if i tell someone about operation northwoods, they just dont believe it and refuse to even look it up themselves. or like, the other day i saw a dude with an imac with a "love" sticker on it. it pissed me off because hella chinese people are working like slaves and killing themselves to bring you that and you dont even acknowledge it because it doesnt fit with your yuppie image of the world. are we all just content with living with our head in the sands or what?

and as for the intelligence part, i was sort of joking. intelligence is subjective as fuck and just because you are extremely intelligent in one area doesnt mean you will be in another. ive met engineers who are dumb as a rock, but can do their job.

but i do get better grades in school than most everyone else with relatively little effort, and imo grades are definitely a measure of either intelligence, or your ability to fit in with society/work productively. i dont think im super smart or anything, sometimes i actually think i am retarded.

Well with the northwoods thing many people, myself included, have been harassed so frequently by conspiracy theorists that any time someone starts going there you just tune it out and exit the conversation as soon as possible. Among a wide field of nutjobs who never give up conspiracy theorists are the most unrelenting and, to be honest, least willing to engage in a subject with intellectual honesty. I don't know if that describes you or not but when someone says "muh northwoods" I instantly disregard everything that follows because it, empirically, just isn't worth my time.

There's an interesting question of "so what" though. Like ok, northwoods, that was a thing and we do actually have good evidence that it was a plan but so what? 9/11 was an inside job? What is anyone going to do about it? Even if we accept the premise we can't elect a candidate outside the major parties and revolution without military support is a non-starter. Even if you had 100% knockdown evidence of whatever you're mad about, if knowing about it isn't going to change what I do tomorrow then I don't really care. It's kinda like the deist God or whatever, something which has no observable effects on the world (or in this case knowing things that have no effects on my behaviour) is exactly the same as a thing which doesn't exist (or knowing thing X is perfectly equivalent to not knowing X).
    I know what you mean about those types of people, I am definitely not one of them. I just think that if there is sufficient proof that something happened, it should at least be acknowledged. I'm actually not sure what the conspiracy theories surrounding operation northwoods are. Like whenever I see people arguing with "truthers", one of their main arguments is that the government would never do anything like that to it's own citizens, and they are so sure about it that it doesn't even warrant a second thought. These examples are kind of weird because it almost sounds like I'm a truther, but I'm not, I just like to have straight facts about something before I make up my mind, and to deny that anyone in the government would do that to their own citizens is basically just wrong.

I get your second point, the "so what" factor, if you will. It's basically what this is all about. It's true that a lot of these things won't really impact a lot of our lives in a meaningful way, but I guess it just bothers me that people are dishonest. Like, if you want to buy an imac knowing that it was made unethically, fine. I can't really say anything to that. But to buy one and pretend that it was made in some forest full of love is dishonest. I guess it doesn't really make a difference in the end, but it just bothers me.
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    That's a myth: http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2014/04/apples-suicide-factories.html

The suicide rate is actually far lower than the average. The nets? They employ such an immense amount of people it's bound to happen, and it particularly makes sense due to their PR image, particularly when this nonsense emerged. We should be thanking them for their good work. What social program has caused a decrease in the suicide rate this drastic? I challenge anyone to name one.

Oh, I love being a libertarian/capitalist apologist (explainer), especially since I actually mean what I write. You should give it a try one day, Lanny, feel the joy of evil coursing through you.
    That's a myth: http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2014/04/apples-suicide-factories.html

The suicide rate is actually far lower than the average. The nets? They employ such an immense amount of people it's bound to happen, and it particularly makes sense due to their PR image, particularly when this nonsense emerged. We should be thanking them for their good work. What social program has caused a decrease in the suicide rate this drastic? I challenge anyone to name one.

Oh, I love being a libertarian/capitalist apologist (explainer), especially since I actually mean what I write. You should give it a try one day, Lanny, feel the joy of evil coursing through you.

Alright, that may be true, I'm not about to look it up right now, but either way, it was just an example and my point still stands.
    Lanny Bird of Courage

As I've mentioned before, I don't actually oppose capitalism a priori. If we can find actual examples, like this seems to be, where capitalism has a net(heh) positive effect, or rather is the optimal course, then let's go for it. I've always argued for control proportional to evidence, where we have strong evidence of an optimal approach (for example we have good evidence city planning produces better results than anything-goes zoning (yes, SF's housing situation is a counterpoint but I'm speaking generally, and it's still better than many south-east asian metropolitan areas that initially or still lack meaningful zoning/planning)) we ought to enforce it by any means available whereas in situations where we don't have very certain knowledge laissez faire policy is one way of managing that uncertainty (it's not really clear if it's better to have a safeway or a whole foods on a given corner, we can allow the market to decide in such a case).

Also I know what apologist means lol.
Jump to Top