User Controls

Concise texts on hydroponic farming for beginners?

I have switched my plans for an indoor farm from soil to hydroponics and would like to study up on it.

Could anyone point me to some good resources where I can start building my knowledge on both the botanical theory as well as the practical, mechanical aspects of setting up a hydroponic farm?
    My old job back in the crack shack days was selling grow lights, dirt, fertilizer and stuff to commercial marijuana growers. I did it for so many years that I got bored of it all. I read every book and piece of information there is, I have charts for solubility and Ph to make your own bulk fertilizer for commercial production and save thousands buying pre mixed.

We used to sell this book at the store I worked at, its very good it has detailed sections from everything starting with dirt to lights, air, seeds, plant genetics and how they behave indoors. I can't think of a better single source of information.

it has hundreds of pics like this

O really just want to make a grwo room where I can grow herbs for pasta and chicken and shit, and maybe some leafy greens and chilies :/
    Herbs and Micro greens are nice and small if you aren't looking to invest a lot into it, I have grown them in tiny 1 bedroom apartments, just like Japan man.

Chili peppers are a bit more complicated because of the lighting cycles, I suck at growing peppers lol even outside with perfect weather I have not ever grown a decent pepper in my life, I want to though it looks like fun.

You can also set things up vertically

Yeah I want to go vertical. The point of those project is really to maximise space because I plan to set up a grow house on my land in Alaska eventually. I want to start simple and maybe try leafy greens first.
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    I be getting some new clones on Saturday.
    Pretty sure MIT opensourceware has something on the subject. Just check out their agriculture section and im sure you will find something.
    bling bling Dark Matter
    idoit
    Esplender Tuskegee Airman [my gynecological profit-maximising katar]
    Nigga just study the nitrogen cycle and you can pretty much play God with your setup however you like.

Alternatively: Have you considered aquaponics instead? You don't have to mess with chemicals as much and you even get some fish to look at.

RisiR † 29 Autism
    Originally posted by AngryOnion I be getting some new clones on Saturday.

What strain?
    Originally posted by Esplender Nigga just study the nitrogen cycle and you can pretty much play God with your setup however you like.

Alternatively: Have you considered aquaponics instead? You don't have to mess with chemicals as much and you even get some fish to look at.

I haven't considered aquaponics before either. Could you give me a couple of links to get me started? I started planning for soil but aquaponics looks interesting.
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    Originally posted by RisiR † What strain?

The guy I got them from could not remember,he said its Grandmas apple pie or green apple quick step.
    They look fucking awesome and smell good to.
    I live in MA so I can legally keep 12 plants so I'm going to make some cuttings later this weekend.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Could you give me a couple of links to get me started? I started planning for soil but aquaponics looks interesting.

Don't really have much in ways of literature. But with pretty much any closed or controlled biological ecosystem (Like farmland or even an aquaponics system) you just need to identify and provide the underlying conditions to maintain the nitrogen cycle which the diagram illustrates. The design (If you want to call it that) is pretty much universal. The bacteria that these diagrams mention are the kind that are present in fertile soil. With a hydroponics system the soil is substituted with continuously running water (With additives) instead.
    I did some quick searching and found some links you might like to check:

Biomass Production and Nutrient Dynamics in an Aquaponics System (http://arizona.openrepository.com/arizona/handle/10150/193835)

What is Aquaponics? How it Works & Why an Aquaponic Setup Can Fail
Jump to Top