User Controls

Government regulations: Ideals vs The Reality

One of the things that fucking pisses me off the most is the loss of nuance in all political discussion these days. And within this loss of nuance, one of the a most retarded things I see that is left wingers who are in favour of increasing government regulations because they think it keeps big businesses in check.

This could not be further from reality.

People will point to agencies like the EPA and events such as the Gulf Of Mexico oil spill reasons why we need stricter regulations. Again. This could not be further from the truth.

This is not to say regulations are all bad or unnecessary; events such as the Gulf of Mexico oil spill indicate that we need *some* regulations. But strict regulations do not keep big businesses in check. In fact, they put them into a stronger position of power, and these businesses lobby for stricter regulations.

This is because a majority (I would say literally over 90%) of regulations are retarded hair splitting bullshit. Less than 10% is real, important regulation that benefits everyone in terms of safety and good practice. For example, you must use a pipe in part X of exactly 0.6mm thickness in connection Y under exactly condition Z.

Big businesses have in-house auditors and inspectors and regulatory lawyers. They know exactly what to look for and how to fight prosecution. These regulations are exactly zero problem for them. And when possible, they will cut corners beyond regulation anyway, which is what BP actually did despite the regulations in place, and disobey regulations.

Meanwhile, smaller businesses, even relatively big ones that just aren't MEGACORPS are fucked harder and harder, like mins. They don't have the money to drop $600 million on compliance personnel. So you have to just take your chances and can potentially get fucked in the ass when a government inspector comes and finds some niggly bullshit and slaps you with a $750K fine.

The fucking jedis have utterly destroyed proper discourse on the issue of regulation.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    tl;dr
    Originally posted by Darth Beaver tl;dr

Tdlr

I.e. you're a tiddler and tiddled your children
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Tdlr

I.e. you're a tiddler and tiddled your children

^tl;dr

Told lie Didn't Remember
    What's your opinion on greenhouse gas emissions regulations
    Originally posted by Fox Paws What's your opinion on greenhouse gas emissions regulations

jedi propaganda about global warming is the only reason for them.

To be serious though, I don't mind the broader emissions regulations, but unfortunately the laws are written in a way where the largest culprits (chemical industries, agribusiness) are impacted in a disproportionately small way because they're written in a hooky way where the way that the government enforces these regulations with tax incentives is heavily skewed towards them.

Which is fair enough since they are important industries, but I don't like that they are taking it out if everyone else's pockets.
Jump to Top