User Controls

July the 16th.

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    I am pretty psyched, stoked even. The new season of GoT is coming out then. Man the wait has been so long. By the by, i never read the books so i never had the "OMG this don't belong in here" feel when watching GoT.

It's gonna be bretty ebin.

Also while we are on the subject of moving pictures. Anyone remember when the new season of Mr. Robot starts?
    Oh fuck, that's close. Hope they don't fuck it up now that they don't have the books to go by.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Oh fuck, that's close. Hope they don't fuck it up now that they don't have the books to go by.

I hear that fat guy author is working closely with the producers so i have faith.
    I believe he just told them major plot points and stuff and then let them have at it. So it will probably match the books, but GRRM will continue to work on the books now. Kind of sucks for the book fans though, all the major shit will be spoiled for them way before the books ever come out.
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon I believe he just told them major plot points and stuff and then let them have at it. So it will probably match the books, but GRRM will continue to work on the books now. Kind of sucks for the book fans though, all the major shit will be spoiled for them way before the books ever come out.

Yeah true. Oh well, one more reason why it's a good thing i never read them.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    wats got ??
    Originally posted by benny vader wats got ??

Game of Thrones.
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    True fact: Ever since this series began I have chosen to wait until it was finished so that I could watch it all in one go, which I highly prefer because I think it's a superior experience, you have the constant story without year long gaps, having to wait this long since it started for it to finally conclude.

Definitely takes discipline, or just a robotic strict adherence to rationality. I never thought about it and of course it's not it ever comes up in conversations with someone because I haven't had social relationships within that period. Makes it far easier, as simple as choosing whether or not to flick a switch.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Oh fuck, that's close. Hope they don't fuck it up now that they don't have the books to go by.

They already did well before running out of source material.
    Originally posted by Lanny They already did well before running out of source material.

What did you dislike about the show?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Everything in the show regarding Dorn is wrong wrt the books such that the primary plot of the last two books is basically precluded from possibility, major characters are basically unpersoned, and this wierd warping of characters to conform to fan fetishes (daenerys has basically lost all her characterization to be come this amorphous blob of girlpower, John has lost all depth of character in favor of sexy rags to riches badass viewer insertion character) is just bleh.
    I see it as a Naked Lunch-esque adaptation (although nowhere near as masterful). Sure the accuracy is not on point but given the source material, the limitations of a TV show etc I think it at least captured the spirit of the books (although admittedly I have only finished A Game Of Thrones and A Clash Of Kings) in terms of how how unforgiving the world of Westeros is (although in the last couple of seasons it turned into some gay typical fantasy hero shit, what with bringing Jon Snow back and shit, where stupid decisions are not properly punished.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Sophie Game of Thrones.

downloaded a complete all season of it but kept passing out/falling asleep while watching the pilot so now i have dozens of gigs of it on my hdd.

whats wrong with people ??? why are you all interested in medieval phantasiy stories ??? not just there but in china as well.

why ??? whats the appeal ???
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon I see it as a Naked Lunch-esque adaptation (although nowhere near as masterful). Sure the accuracy is not on point but given the source material, the limitations of a TV show etc I think it at least captured the spirit of the books (although admittedly I have only finished A Game Of Thrones and A Clash Of Kings) in terms of how how unforgiving the world of Westeros is (although in the last couple of seasons it turned into some gay typical fantasy hero shit, what with bringing Jon Snow back and shit, where stupid decisions are not properly punished.

Yeah, actually agree, the first few seasons were pretty close to source material and I liked them a lot. There were deltas because the books are long as shit but every omission was reasonable, minimal, and well enough executed that it didn't induce a cascading change in a larger plot point. Once you get out of the first three books though the variation becomes a lot more severe. To be fair the parallel nature of the last two is difficult to adapt to the screen, but instead of trying to get creative with it (I mean you could literally just have the relevant events take place off screen) the choice seems to have been to reduce the number of PoV characters and retcon most of a book out of existence in favor of, like you said, catering to fan fancies.
Jump to Top