User Controls

Is being a lawyer a "noble profession"?

Lanny Bird of Courage
    I was thinking today about how we have kind of two contrary public images of the legal profession: on the one hand there's this kind of Atticus Finch conception of the lawyer as intelligent, principled, "man of convictions" type and on the other there's the Saul Goodman style "sleazy" lawyer and the big law firm lawyer who's perhaps more morally ambiguous (ostensibly not doing anything illegal) but just as cutthroat.

I mean the actual population of lawyers probably runs the gamut of these general archetypes but which do you think is more representative of the state of the profession? I tend towards the idea of law as a noble profession, but maybe I'm biased. Lawyers are highly technical which will endears them to me, silly, perhaps a mark of the working class (the "people like me" mentality). Also of the lawyers I've known most have had a pretty high general sensitivity to ethical issues, maybe many or most don't subscribe to the same notion of ethics as me but at least there's some kind of standard that's observed. Maybe reality beats the idealism out of many but to have even entered the field suggests a degree of commitment to justice that I find admirable.

I don't know, what do you think?
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I think attaching a dollar value to 'justice' is inherently ignoble
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    No. Layer is a profession made necessary because the laws are far too complex for the common man. It is an entirely jedi based industry created by jedis, through jedi mind control. There are no Perry Masons out there.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    bling bling Dark Matter
    this is me as a lawyser after we just got 3 niggaz off clean

150k bond gets repaid to may man an i take 20% >>> all the way to the btv crypto vaoult cus am a lwawyer in 3 differnt countys
    bling bling Dark Matter
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon No. Layer is a profession made necessary because the laws are far too complex for the common man. It is an entirely jedi based industry created by jedis, through jedi mind control. There are no Perry Masons out there.

you can learn the law but it is alot to study buyt most ppl dont;; u get a case u got vry short time to urself upto speed if u no nothing, ur solicitor already nows this shit and will spot any fails u may make

think like 1500s if u got towed to court they jus sed fuk it an threw the hammer on u u got no help

then sum ppl sed fuk it is not rite we gonna get together to offer soloicitation to fite for the ppl

or u can always represent urself

to say o fukc it its nothing its jus jedis only is trapping urself
    tldr no

Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by aldra I think attaching a dollar value to 'justice' is inherently ignoble

You could say the same for literally anything that qualifies as a profession. I mean I agree that profit modeling all of human activity is demeaning but insofar as we can say anyone's occupation has value, it seems like justice, if indeed that's what lawyers dispense, qualifies.

Originally posted by Captain Falcon No. Layer is a profession made necessary because the laws are far too complex for the common man. It is an entirely jedi based industry created by jedis, through jedi mind control. There are no Perry Masons out there.

If we can find examples of societies that had little or no contact with the Judaic tradition yet which contained lawyers, would you concede you're wrong here?
    Originally posted by Lanny If we can find examples of societies that had little or no contact with the Judaic tradition yet which contained lawyers, would you concede you're wrong here?

no, because we're talking about current affairs
    Originally posted by Lanny You could say the same for literally anything that qualifies as a profession. I mean I agree that profit modeling all of human activity is demeaning but insofar as we can say anyone's occupation has value, it seems like justice, if indeed that's what lawyers dispense, qualifies.

but what kind of person is drawn to a profession where their morality is interchangeable with currency? a bundite, thats who
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    The legal system is an absolute abomination. I wouldn't say most are particularly as the overwhelming majority of legal cases do not appear to be noble causes worth fighting for.

At the very least I sure as hell wouldn't go into that field and, honestly, if you went into it you're likely either are or were incredibly naive and likely had other critical flaws that will bother me and cause apprehension. I mean, good god, if you think about what it actually entails, I would just go insane. Can you imagine dedicating that much of your life to just memorizing the legal code, procedures, and case studies? Doesn't seem even close to being worth it, the money and status don't mean much to me.
    bling bling Dark Matter
    u can do wot u wont if u have $$% dat dollar percentage
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Tetrahedras no, because we're talking about current affairs

Originally posted by Captain Falcon It is an entirely jedi based industry created by jedis, through jedi mind control.

Originally posted by Tetrahedras but what kind of person is drawn to a profession where their morality is interchangeable with currency? a bundite, thats who

How exactly is morality interchangeable with currency in the legal profession?

Originally posted by Malice The legal system is an absolute abomination. I wouldn't say most are particularly as the overwhelming majority of legal cases do not appear to be noble causes worth fighting for.

At the very least I sure as hell wouldn't go into that field and, honestly, if you went into it you're likely either are or were incredibly naive and likely had other critical flaws that will bother me and cause apprehension. I mean, good god, if you think about what it actually entails, I would just go insane. Can you imagine dedicating that much of your life to just memorizing the legal code, procedures, and case studies? Doesn't seem even close to being worth it, the money and status don't mean much to me.

I mean, you can't argue with hard facts backed up with numbers like "the overwhelming majority of legal cases do not appear to be noble causes worth fighting for"!
    Yeah, I'm not familiar enough to gauge it based on hard data. Just the impression I have. Really doubt I'm wrong, though. It's like becoming a cop and thinking you're going to mostly be doing good instead of largely collecting money for the state (Well, you would consider that good.) and ruining people's day. You know, I just really doubt it.
    Originally posted by Lanny How exactly is morality interchangeable with currency in the legal profession?

1 is semantic argument. by founded it doesnt mean the jedis created law 50,000 years ago in a cave fighting over the last raisin you dumb faggot, he meant founded by an industry that operates today

2 because FUCK BITCHES GET $$$$$ BLAME THE GRAPE VICTIM
    Originally posted by Lanny If we can find examples of societies that had little or no contact with the Judaic tradition yet which contained lawyers, would you concede you're wrong here?

Usury wasn't invented by the jedis either. jedis streamlined it and brought it into the mainstream. jedis are the Apple of jediing.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    my attorney is certainly a very noble person. he spend all his after his highly paid work hours doing pro bono work on internet phorums as pro bono phorum rule-attorneys.

let me kno if you or anyone you know have been banned/infracted unjustly.
    Yeah they make lots of money
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon Usury wasn't invented by the jedis either. jedis streamlined it and brought it into the mainstream. jedis are the Apple of jediing.

How exactly can you argue against "usury"? You seem like you should know enough about capitalist economics to understand how unworkable a system without interest/"usury" is in a modern developed country. It's an incredibly destructive policy. Unless you're referring to specifically aiming to fuck people over, in which case there could well be some truth to that. The ashkenazim have the highest IQ of any genetic population, and it's bifurcated, with the verbal IQ being what drives them to be considerably above average; essentially they're going to tend to outsmart most any other population.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Lawyers serve a good purpose. Especially defense attorneys, when it comes to out-jediing the government.
    Originally posted by Malice How exactly can you argue against "usury"? You seem like you should know enough about capitalist economics to understand how unworkable a system without interest/"usury" is in a modern developed country. It's an incredibly destructive policy. Unless you're referring to specifically aiming to fuck people over, in which case there could well be some truth to that. The ashkenazim have the highest IQ of any genetic population, and it's bifurcated, with the verbal IQ being what drives them to be considerably above average; essentially they're going to tend to outsmart most any other population.

I didn't argue against usury. I argued that the jedis didn't invent it but they sure do get it better than anyone. Much like lawyers. This is why jedi lawyers are the best
Jump to Top