User Controls

Chaos magic is real

Common De-mominator African Astronaut
    Well it's not magic but sunchromystical ideas make some sense to me as I learn more and more about machine learning and evolutionary programming on a technical level. Chaos is an incredible and undeniable reality of the physical world we occupy. The fact is that nothing we do is an action with no causal consequences in the world, but usually the causal consequences of our actions are simply lost into the noise and chaos of the world. For example every motion you make will disturb air and cause kinetic interactions with the rest of the world. But this usually just bleeds off into heat and does nothing in particular as a matter of statistical mechanics. However in the real world, that energy doesn't just radiate off in a smooth gradient, those air molecules are moving and the energy is going to continue being transmitted, it is ultimately a deterministic system of interactions of particles. So in theory it is possible for me to punch right at you while you are standing 12 feet away from me, and have all of the energy transfer into your chest through the air. Will it? Of course not. But it could.

And somewhere in that tiny little flux of possibility, I think in a "constructor theory" sense, anything is possible. There are some permutations of physical events that bridge the gap between what you start with, and your desired results. If you could tune into that information, you could be a fucking wizard: you could flick your finger in the air and make someone's heart explode. Now I don't think anyone truly has that information, but it's there. And I think to a certain extent, things like karma exist.in this space of possibility: I think generally having good vibes and being chill sort of reverberates around the room in a "noise data" sense, and vice versa. I think animals can sense malice in a similar way. Our brains are essentially big data processing machines and they recognize patterns for a living, literally. When we see some arcane pattern in a large set of events, of course it is possible that it is bullshit. But at the same time, it is possible that your subconscious number crunching faculties are telling you of something important, the same way they tell you when you "know" when you've encountered a shady character or a slit.
    Dregs African Astronaut [that freakishly double-edged allmouth]
    tl;dr
    Soyboy VII: Mattchews Camping Trip Houston [baulk my topological rheum]
    No. Magic is real, but what you're talking about is either synchronicity or just plain coincidence.
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING VII: Mattchews Camping Trip No. Magic is real, but what you're talking about is either synchronicity or just plain coincidence.

No shit retard, learn to read
    Originally posted by Common De-mominator No shit retard, learn to read

Learn to write
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING VII: Mattchews Camping Trip Learn to write

Learn to read.
    Originally posted by Common De-mominator Learn to read.

I'm going to hex you.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    this is the sort of thing douchepak chopdicks is talking about when he rambles about quantum mechanics - the (baseless) idea that the human mind can 'tap into' quantum particles and change or predect the probability of their action.

even if it were possible, the amount of computing power that'd be required even to understand going from changing single particles to a visible, real-world effect would be enormous
    also 'chaos magic' is actually a thing, and that thing is stupid larping bullshit
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    The aliens can control every single atom on the entire planet, including every atom in the planet itself. They keep track of every single one and can modify them all at will. The computing power required to do this is beyond comprehension, but it's only a minute fraction of the energy they have at their disposal.
    Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    shut the fuck up spectral.
    Wait for it...

The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by aldra this is the sort of thing douchepak chopdicks is talking about when he rambles about quantum mechanics - the (baseless) idea that the human mind can 'tap into' quantum particles and change or predect the probability of their action.

even if it were possible, the amount of computing power that'd be required even to understand going from changing single particles to a visible, real-world effect would be enormous

Not really. I'm talking more along the lines of David Deutsche's observation that if the laws of physics don't explicitly forbid some transformation, then it's possible. Very simple and reasonable. It has nothing to do with quantum mechanics, uncertainty, stochasticity etc.

Mostly with regards to synchromysticism, my point is more that maybe if you see on days that you out on your lucky socks that XYZ happens, it might not actually be nothing. Maybe there's something about the way those socks react to the aether.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by aldra the (baseless) idea that the human mind can 'tap into' quantum particles and change or predect the probability of their action.

IMO it's fairly conclusive that psychics can affect radioisotope based random number generators. Since the mechanism behind radioactive decay is usually regarded to be a purely probabilistic/mathematically defined one, this is doubly interesting.

Of course if you disbelieve almost no evidence is enough.
    Dregs African Astronaut [that freakishly double-edged allmouth]
    Shut the fuck up already pakijedifuckingcunt
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country IMO it's fairly conclusive that psychics can affect radioisotope based random number generators. Since the mechanism behind radioactive decay is usually regarded to be a purely probabilistic/mathematically defined one, this is doubly interesting.

Of course if you disbelieve almost no evidence is enough.

got a link or something?
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by aldra got a link or something?

I was actually looking, a lot seems to have aged off the internet. However the Princeton* Experiment/Global Consciousness Project seems still relevant.
    http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

*fixed.

Stanford were where SRI and the early Remote Viewing Work was done, as described in Ingo Swann's book.
    My mother knew a man who could tell the future with eerie certainty. Mr. Roger Wilmet. He could tell you when you were going to die and how, and he was always right. People used to come see him all the time and bother him to help them or show them what he could do. He could just touch you and heal you, too. If you had a toothache or a headache or a muscle pulled or even injuries, he could just put his hand on the spot and it was instantly gone. Finally, a bunch of people in the town got really scared and went to his house and pretended to believe him, but they wanted to catch him and expose him as a fraud. Eventually, the conversation came around to him needing to prove he was for real, so Wilmet decided to go along and prove it to them. He told one of them to go get a chest, a chain, two padlocks, a piece of paper, a picture frame with glass in it, and a piece of string. They went and got it, and he put the blank sheet of paper and the picture frame inside the empty chest, wrapped the chain around the chest, put the two padlocks onto the chain (only one of the people had the keys), then tied one end of the string to the big toe of one of the people there and tied the other end through both locks, with the string taught between the chest and the person there. That way, if anyone tried to open the locks or the chest, the person with the string tied to their toe would know. Then everybody sat around the chest in a circle and Wilmet turned off the lights, so it was pitch black in the kitchen. As they sat there in the dark waiting for something to happen, the person with the string tied to their toe suddenly yelled out that there was a pull on the string, and the light was immediately switched on. They all looked at the chest and nothing had changed. The chain was still on, the locks were still secured, the string was still attached, everything just as it was, but when they opened up the chest, the paper was now inside the picture frame and it had Indian writing all across it from top to bottom. Then he started laughing and looking at everyone in a very strange way, and everybody ran out. True story. My Mom said she was one of the people there. She also told me Mr. Wilmet healed her of some things instantly, and even offered to tell her when she was going to die and how, but my Mom refused to hear it, but he kept going and said that she was going to die in something dark.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    I want to try having a seance.
Jump to Top